Skip to main content

Teaching Conditional Sentences: Methods for making them easy to understand and teach.


Teaching Conditional Sentences: Methods for making them easy to understand and teach.
Conditionals can be a confusing aspect of the English language, both for native and non-native speakers.
Different languages approach conditionals in different manners, so EFL lessons that address conditionals will be interpreted differently by students depending on their native language. This article covers the concept of conditionals and suggests teaching methods that could be implemented for your students.
Related image
Defining Conditionals
Conditionals are sentence structures that explain a particular situation or circumstance and its consequences. If this happens, then that happens. Conditionals are commonly referred to as "if sentence structures" because they often contain the word "if."
In my experience, conditional forms should be introduced to students once they have learned the basics of the past, present, and future tenses. While there are four conditional forms, five including the mixed conditionals, it is best to start off with the first conditional focusing on real situations. To alleviate confusión, it is helpful to point out parallels in future time clauses:
  • I'll discuss the dinner requirements if he comes to the reunion.
  • We'll discuss the issue in the afternoon.
This will help students with the structure of using the if clause to begin the sentence, in parallel with the same structure for future time clauses.
  • If we finish everything early, we'll go out for dinner.
  • When we visit South America, we like to go to Peru.
Once students have understood this basic structural similarity, it's easy to continue on with the zero conditional, as well as the other conditional forms. It is considered best to introduce all three forms if students are comfortable with tenses, as the similarities in structure will help them absorb and understand the information.
Here are suggestions for teaching each conditional form in order.
The Zero Conditional
We can make a zero conditional sentence by using two present simple verbs (one in the 'if clause' and one in the 'main clause'):
·         If + present simple, .... present simple.
This conditional is used when the result will always happen. So, if the sun comes up, it will be a beautiful day. It's a fact. I'm talking in general, not about one particular situation. The result of the 'if clause' is always the main clause.
The 'if' in this conditional can usually be replaced by 'when' without changing the meaning.
For example: If water reaches 100 degrees, it boils. (It is always true, there
can't be a different result sometimes). If I eat fast food, I get fat and unhealthy.
(This is true only for me, maybe, not for everyone, but it's still true that I put in weight when  eat too much fast food)
Here are some more examples:
·         If people eat too much, they get fat.
·         If you touch a fire, you get burned.
·         People get hungry if they don't eat.
·         You get water if you mix hydrogen and oxygen.
·         Snakes bite if they are annoyed
·         If babies are unhappy, they cry


The First Conditional
The first conditional has the present simple after 'if', then the future simple in the other clause:
·         if + present simple, ... will + infinitive
It's used to talk about things which might happen in the future. Of course, we can't know what will happen in the future, but this describes possible things, which could easily occur.
·         If it rains, I won't go to the park.
·         If I study today, I'll go to the party tonight.
·         If I have enough money, I'll buy some new shoes.
·         She'll be late if the train is delayed.
·         She'll miss the bus if she doesn't leave soon.
·         If I see her, I'll tell her.

First vs. Zero Conditional:
The first conditional describes a particular situation, whereas the zero conditional describes what happens in general.

For example (zero conditional): if you sit in the sun, you get burned (here I'm talking about every time a person sits in the sun - the burning is a the natural consequence of the sitting)

But (first conditional): if you sit in the sun, you'll get burned (here I'm talking about what will happen today, another day might be different)
First vs. Second Conditional:
The first conditional describes things that I think are likely to happen in the future, whereas the second conditional talks about things that I don't think will really happen. It's subjective; it depends on my point of view.

For example (first conditional): If she studies harder, she'll pass the exam (I think it's possible she will study harder and so she'll pass)

But (second conditional): If she studied harder, she would pass the exam (I think that she won't study harder, or it's very unlikely, and so she won't pass)
The Second Conditional
The second conditional uses the past simple after if, then 'would' and the infinitive:
·         if + past simple, ...would + infinitive
(We can use 'were' instead of 'was' with 'I' and 'he/she/it'. This is mostly done in formal writing).
It has two uses.
First, we can use it to talk about things in the future that are probably not going to be true. Maybe I'm imagining some dream for example.
·         If I won the lottery, I would buy a big house.(I probably won't win the lottery)
·         If I met the Queen of England, I would say hello.
·         She would travel all over the world if she were rich.
·         She would pass the exam if she ever studied.(She never studies, so this won't happen)
Second, we can use it to talk about something in the present which is impossible, because it's not true. Is that clear? Have a look at the examples:
·         If I had his number, I would call him. (I don't have his number now, so it's impossible for me to call him).
·         If I were you, I wouldn't go out with that man.

How is this different from the first conditional?

This kind of conditional sentence is different from the first conditional because this is a lot more unlikely.

For example (second conditional): If I had enough money I would buy a house with twenty bedrooms and a swimming pool (I'm probably not going to have this much money, it's just a dream, not very real)

But (first conditional): If I have enough money, I'll buy some new shoes (It's much more likely that I'll have enough money to buy some shoes)
The Third Conditional
We make the third conditional by using the past perfect after 'if' and then 'would have' and the past participle in the second part of the sentence:
·         if + past perfect, ...would + have + past participle
It talks about the past. It's used to describe a situation that didn't happen, and to imagine the result of this situation.
·         If she had studied, she would have passed the exam (but, really we know she didn't study and so she didn't pass)
·         If I hadn't eaten so much, I wouldn't have felt sick (but I did eat a lot, and so I did feel sick).
·         If we had taken a taxi, we wouldn't have missed the plane
·         She wouldn't have been tired if she had gone to bed earlier
·         She would have become a teacher if she had gone to university
·         He would have been on time for the interview if he had left the house at nine





The Mixed Conditional
Another type of conditional sentence is that when type 2 and type 3 conditional sentences are mixed.
How conditional sentences are mixed
Unreal conditionals (type II + III) sometimes can be mixed, that is, the time of the if clause is different from the one of the main clause.
1. Past → Present
·         If I had taken an aspirin, I wouldn't have a headache now.
2. Past → Future
·         If I had known that you are going to come by tomorrow, I would be in then.
3. Present → Past
·         If she had enough money, she could have done this trip to Hawaii.
4. Present → Future
·         If I were you, I would be spending my vacation in Seattle.
5. Future → Past
·         If I weren't flying to Detroit, I would have planned a trip to Vancouver.
6. Future → Present
·         If I were taking this exam next week, I would be high-strung.

If I had worked harder at school, I would have a better job now.
I would have
a better house now if I had earnt more money.
If we had
looked at Google maps we wouldn't be lost now.
We wouldn't be
hungry if we had made a sándwich before we left home.
If you had caught that plane you would be
in Sydney now.
You would be
ready now if you had written the note on time

     Anyway, good luck with teaching the conditionals, I hope that my article, in some small way, helps you to both understand, and teach it in a way that makes this confusing structure a little clearer and the teaching easier.












Comments

  1. Well explained sir,
    But always grammar makes me confused.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 50 Most Important Idioms for Achieving a B2 to C2 Level of English.

  Due to the complexities of English, nobody, native or second language learner can honestly brag about having a proficient level of the language without a solid knowledge of Idioms.  Every day, in almost every conversation, native speakers will use idioms more than someone who is new to the language, simply because they are more familiar with them and know the context in which they should be used. Therefore, this means that when you, the second language learner uses an idiom in the correct context, that you have a more proficient level of English and therefore you sound more like a native speaker. Below is a list of 50 of the most important general idioms necessary for traveling the B2 to C2 language learning journey. With these idioms, you will be able to listen and speak more like a native speaker, therefore, enhancing your ability to communicate effectively. Study tips for how to learn idioms. The 60 most important phrasal verbs for achieving a B2 to C2 level of English. It also he

The 60 Most Important Phrasal Verbs for Achieving a B2 to C2 Level of English.

  Due to the complexities of English, nobody can honestly brag about having a proficient level of the language without a solid knowledge of phrasal verbs and Idioms.  Every day, in almost every conversation, native speakers will use phrasal verbs idioms more than someone who is new to the language, simply because they are more familiar with them and know the context in which they should be used. Therefore, this means that when you, the second language learner uses a phrasal verb or idiom in the correct context, that you have a more proficient level of English and therefore you sound more like a native speaker. Below is a list of 60 of the most important general phrasal verbs necessary for traveling the B2 to C2 language learning journey. With these phrasal verbs, you will be able to listen and speak more like a native speaker, therefore, enhancing your ability to communicate effectively. The 50 Most Important Idioms for Achieving a B2 to C2 Level of English. Study tips for how to learn

The List of Essential Vocabulary to Help You to Pass Your B2 to C2 English Exams.

As an English teacher, I have been preparing students for international exams for more than 20 years, and no matter which exam you wish to take, be it the University of Cambridge, the University of Michigan, or any of the many other exams, there is no doubt that your knowledge of vocabulary plays a huge role in your level of success. A robust knowledge of vocabulary improves all areas of communication. For students who are planning to undertake an international exam, vocabulary helps you to understand what you are reading and listening to, it helps you to include the best words in your writing and to be able to confidently and fluently answer the questions in your speaking interview .  Expanding your knowledge of words provides you with unlimited access to new information and ultimate success with your exams. Whilst it is true that there is no single list of vocabulary that is guaranteed to perfectly prepare you for every exam, the list below is one of the lists that I always use for m