Skip to main content

The phrasal Verbs That Will Make You Sound Like A Native Speaker.

 

Phrasal verbs are phrases that indicate actions. They are generally used in spoken English and informal texts. Examples of such verbs include: turn down, come across and run into.

Phrasal verbs consist of a verb and a preposition or an adverb

The meaning of phrasal verbs

Sometimes, it is difficult to understand the meaning of phrasal verbs. Before looking them up in a dictionary, it would be helpful to use the context to understand them.

Literal meaning

Some phrasal verbs have a literal meaning. They can be easily understood.

  • She opened the door and looked outside.
  • She was walking across the street when she heard the sound of an explosion.

    Idiomatic meaning

    Phrasal verbs can also have a figurative or idiomatic meaning which makes them difficult to understand.

    Separable or inseparable?

    1. Sometimes, the preposition/adverb is placed either after the verb or after the object.

    Examples:

    • Mary made up a really entertaining story.
    • Mary made the story up.

      2. If the object is a pronoun, however, the preposition/adverb has to be placed after the pronoun (object).

      Examples:

      • She made it up.
      • Put it down.
      • Take it off.

      3. Some phrasal verbs are always inseparable.

      Example:

      • came across some old photos in a drawer.

      NOT

      • came some old photos across in a drawer

Below is a list of 100 of the most important phrasal verbs for language learners to know, especially those who are attempting to achieve a C2 level of Advanced English. 

I hope that you find them helpful.

ADVANCED ENGLISH: The 100 Most Important Words to Learn in English.

1. ask out

  • ask someone out
  • Steven asked me out but I don't know if I should say yes.
  • Steven has asked me out but I don't know whether to say yes.

2. be off

  • shove off
  • I'm off! See you on Monday.
  • I'm going! See you on Monday.

3. beat up

  • hit
  • A group of teenagers beat up our English teacher.
  • A group of teenagers beat up our English teacher.

4. blow up

  • exploit
  • My pressure cooker blew up suddenly.
  • My pressure cooker suddenly exploded.

5. blow out

  • turn off (blowing)
  • Make a wish before you blow out the candles!
  • Make a wish before blowing out the candles.

6. break down

  • break down
  • My car broke down on the way to my job interview.
  • My car broke down on the way to my job interview.

7. break up

  • break up, break up a romantic relationship
  • Her parents broke up when she was five years old.
  • His parents separated when he was five years old.

8. bring up

  • raise
  • I was brought in a farm in Northern England.
  • I grew up on a farm in the north of England. 
  • bring up
  • I don't like bringing up this topic but you still owe me £ 20.
  • I don't like to bring up this topic, but you still owe me £ 20.

9. bring it on!

  • come on / come on / let's go!
  • If you think you can beat me, bring it on!
  • If you think you can beat me, come on, come on!

10. bump into

11. butt in

  • interrupt, remove the word
  • Please stop butting in! It's my turn to talk!
  • Please stop interrupting me! It is my turn to speak. 

12. call off

  • suspend / cancel
  • The wedding was called off at the last minute due to the coronavirus.
  • The wedding was canceled at the last minute due to the coronavirus.

13. care about

  • worry about / care about something or someone
  • He doesn't care about recycling.
  • He doesn't care about recycling.

14. carry on

  • continue
  • ? If you carry on like that, you'll never succeed.
  • If you continue like this, you will never be successful.

15. carry out

  • to carry out
  • The police are carrying out an investigation into the murder.
  • The police are conducting an investigation into the murder.

16. catch up

  • catch up
  • I missed two classes so now I need to catch up.
  • I missed two classes so I need to catch up.
  • catch / reach
  • You go ahead; I'll catch up with you later.
  • You go going, then I'll catch up with you.

17. cheat on

  • be unfaithful / cheat
  • I would never cheat on you darling.
  • I would never cheat on you with another dear.

18. cheer sb. up

  • encourage someone
  • I bought you these flowers to cheer you up.
  • I bought you these flowers to cheer you up.

19. chop up

  • chop, chop
  • You chop up the vegetables while I boil the rice.
  • You chop the vegetables while I boil the rice.

20. close down

  • permanently close
  • The restaurant closed down after the inspection.
  • The restaurant closed after inspection.

21. come across

22. come down to

  • reduce to
  • In the end it all comes down to how we react to our problems.
  • In the end it all comes down to how we react to problems.
  • go down to
  • Are you coming down to London this weekend?
  • Are you going down to London this weekend?

23. come down with

  • Fall ill
  • I think I'm coming down with a cold.
  • I think I've caught a cold.

24. come in

  • enter / pass
  • Please come in and take a seat.
  • Please come in and have a seat

25. come over

  • come / pass
  • Would you like to come over for dinner tomorrow?
  • Do you want to come to dinner tomorrow?

26. count on

  • count on / trust
  • Please don't worry! You can always count on me.
  • Do not worry! You can always count on me.

27. cut down on

  • Reduce the consumption of
  • I think you should cut down on chocolate.
  • I think you should cut back on chocolate.

28. doze off

  • falling asleep / fried
  • I dozed off and missed the end of the film!
  • I was freaked out and missed the end of the movie.

29. dress up

  • dress smart / make yourself pretty
  • Are you going to dress up for the party?
  • Are you going to dress up a lot for the party?
  • wear costumes
  • What are you going to dress up as? I'm going to dress up as Harry Potter.
  • What are you going to dress up as? I'm going to dress up as Harry Potter.

30. drop in

31. drop off

  • Leave to
  • Could you drop me off at the supermarket on your way home?
  • Could you drop me off at the grocery store on the way home?

32. drop out

  • leave something halfway, abandon
  • My university course was so boring! I dropped out in the first semester.
  • My career was so boring. I quit in the first semester.

33. eat up

  • finish the meal
  • Eat up your vegetables or there'll be no dessert.
  • Finish the veggies or there won't be dessert.

34. eat out

  • Go to eat out
  • Shall we eat out tonight?
  • Shall we have dinner out tonight?

35. end up

  • end up doing something in a place that was not planned
  • We ended up walking home because there were no taxis.
  • We ended up walking home because there were no taxis.
  • Keep avoiding taxes and you'll end up in jail.
  • Continue without paying taxes and you will end up in jail.

36. fall behind

  • be delayed
  • I've fallen behind on my mortgage payments.
  • I am behind on my mortgage payments.

37. fall out with sb

  • Get angry, quarrel, stop being friends, stop talking
  • Have you fallen out with Tom? We fell out ages ago.
  • Don't you talk to Tom anymore? We stopped talking centuries ago.

38. fall over

  • fall down
  • He was so drunk he fell over in the middle of the party.
  • He was so drunk that he fell to the ground in the middle of the party.

39. fill in

  • fill in, complete
  • Please fill in this form and wait till the doctor calls you in.
  • Fill out this form and wait for the doctor to call you.

40. fill in for sb.

41. fill up

  • fill in
  • Would you like me to fill your bottle up with water?
  • Do you want me to fill your bottle?
  • Fill
  • The gym usually starts to fill up around 7 pm
  • The gym usually starts to fill up around 7 pm.

42. find out

  • discover, find out
  • How did you find out about this place?
  • How did you discover this site?

43. freak out

  • freaking out, panicking / freaking out, losing track
  • I freak out every time I see a cockroach.
  • I go crazy every time I see a cockroach.

44. get away from

  • escape from / get away
  • I'll get away from work as soon as I can.
  • I'll get away from work as soon as I can.
  • Get away from me-your breath stinks.
  • Get away from me, your breath stinks.

45. get away with something

  • go unpunished, without punishment
  • Don't be tempted to cheat in the exam, you won't get away with it.
  • Don't even think about cheating on the exam, you won't get rid of punishment.

46. ​​get down

  • Get down
  • Get down from that ladder now!
  • Get off that ladder right now!

47. get sb. down

  • discourage
  • Don't let those critics let you down!
  • Don't let those reviews put you off.

48. get in / out

  • get on / off private transport, get in / out
  • Get out my house!
  • Get out of my house!
  • Get in the car!
  • Get in the car.

49. get on / off

  • go up / down public transport
  • We're getting off at the next stop.
  • We got off at the next stop.
  • Get on the bus!
  • Get on the bus.

50. get on (well) with

  • get along
  • Do you get on well with your neighbors?
  • Do you get along with your neighbors?

ADVANCED ENGLISH: Achieving B2 to C2 level English Through The Watching Of Movies and Television Shows.


51. get over

  • overcome, recover
  • I can't get over my shyness.
  • I can't get over my shyness.
  • It took me ages to get over my broken foot.
  • It took me centuries to recover from my broken foot.

52. give in

  • give up, give in
  • The government will not give in to terrorist threats.
  • The government will not give in to threats from terrorists.

53. give up

  • leave, abandon
  • He's unbearable since he gave up smoking.
  • He's been unbearable since he quit smoking.
  • Never, never, never, ever give up your dreams.
  • Never, never, never ever give up your dreams.

54. grow up

  • grow up, get older, mature
  • Your soon has grown up so much!
  • How old is your son!

55. go away 

  • leave / leave / go on a trip
  • I'm trying to do some work. Go away!
  • I am trying to work. Get out!
  • Are you going away for Easter?
  • Are you going on a trip at Easter? 

56. go off 

  • spoil, expire
  • Keep the milk in the fridge or it'll go off.
  • Store the milk in the fridge or it will spoil.
  • exploit
  • The boiler went off while I was in the shower.
  • The boiler exploded while I was in the shower.
  • Dream
  • My alarm didn't go off this morning.
  • I didn't have my alarm sounded this morning.
  • Stop liking someone
  • I've gone off Katie since she told that dirty joke.
  • I've stopped liking Katie ever since she told that dirty joke.

57. go through

  • cross / pass
  • I got searched when I went through the airport security.
  • They searched me when I passed the airport security check.
  • suffer / have a bad time
  • We've gone through a lot this year.
  • We have had a hard time this year.
  • check
  • In this lesson we'll go through the irregular verbs.
  • In this class we will review irregular verbs.

58. hang on

  • expect
  • Hang on a moment, I'm going to get my jacket.
  • Wait a minute, I'm going to get my jacket.
  • put up with
  • Hang on a bit longer, you will succeed in the end.
  • Hold on a little longer, I'm sure you will.
  • keep something, hold on to something
  • Why do you hang on to all those teddy bears? They remind me of my childhood.
  • Why do you keep so many teddy bears? They remind me of my childhood.

59. hang up 

  • hang up the phone
  • Please don't hang up!
  • Please, do not hang up!
  • hang something
  • Hang your towel up, it won't dry on the floor.
  • Hang your towel, it won't dry on the floor.

60. head back

61. heat up 

  • to warm
  • Did you head up the soup?
  • Have you heated the soup?

62. hold on

  • resist / endure
  • During your blood test…
  • Hold on, we're almost done.
  • Hold one, we're almost done.
  • keep
  • Hold on to your ticket, you'll need it to get out of the car park.
  • Keep your ticket, you will need it to exit the car park.
  • Hold on to something
  • Hang on to the strap. There'a a tight bend!
  • Grab the handle, a sharp bend is coming.

63. hurry up

  • hurry up
  • Hurry up! I do not have all day! - Hurry up! I haven't got all day!
  • If you don't hurry, we'll be late. - If you don't hurry up, we're going to be late.

64. keep on

  • continue
  • If you keep on talking, you'll have to leave.
  • If you keep talking you will have to go.
  • leave on
  • Keep your clothes on Mr Jones, I'm only checking your blood pressure.
  • Don't take off your clothes, Mr. Jones. I'm just going to take his blood pressure.

65. keep up

  • follow the rythm
  • She walked so fast that I could barely keep up.
  • He walked so fast that he could barely keep up.
  • to be informed about
  • Are you keeping up with the latest news?
  • Are you aware of all the latest news?
  • keep it up
  • Very good! Keep it up!
  • Very well! Keep it up!

66. kick out

  • expel
  • My teacher kicked me out of the class because I was yawning.
  • The teacher kicked me out of class for yawning.

67. knock sb out

  • knock out
  • The boxer knocked his opponent out in the third round.
  • The boxer knocked his opponent unconscious in the third round.
  • astonish / surprise
  • Her spectacular singing voice knocked everyone out!
  • His spectacular voice   did not leave everyone stunned.

68. knock over 

  • run over, run over
  • The cyclist was knocked over by a car.
  • The cyclist was hit by a car.
  • knock down
  • The baby knocked over my coffee mug.
  • Baby threw away my coffee cup

69. let somebody down 

  • disappoint someone
  • Everyone seems to let him down.
  • Everyone ends up disappointing him.

70. let off

71. lighten up 

  • relax / unwind
  • Our English teacher should lighten up a bit.
  • Our English teacher should relax a bit.

72. look after

  • look after
  • Can you look after my little rat while I'm away?
  • Can you take care of my mouse while I'm traveling?

73. look into

  • investigate, search, evaluate
  • We're looking into ways to improve our service.
  • We are evaluating ways to improve our service.

74. look sth / sb up

  • search for
  • If you don't know the address just look it up online.
  • If you don't know the address, look it up on the internet.

75. look forward to sth

  • really want to
  • I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.
  • I really want to see you tomorrow.

76. make up

  • invent
  • Really? You made up the whole story?
  • Seriously? Did you make up the whole story?
  • make peace
  • We had an argument but we kissed and made up.
  • We had an argument, but we have made up. 

77. pay back

  • return money
  • When are you going to pay me back the money?
  • When are you going to pay me back?
  • take revenge on someone for something
  • It's pay back time!
  • Time for revenge!

78. pick up

  • pick up in a vehicle
  • Can you pick me up later?
  • Can you come pick me up later?
  • answer the phone
  • I called three times but not one picked up.
  • I called three times but no one answered.
  • learn easily
  • I didn't study French at school, I just picked it up while living in Paris.
  • I didn't study French in high school, I learned it when I lived in Paris.
  • to get better
  • Hopefully, sales will pick up in January.
  • Hopefully, sales will improve in January.

79. plug in

  • plug
  • Do you mind if I plug my phone in?
  • Do you mind if I plug in my mobile?

80. put on

81. put out

  • inconvenience
  • I need someone to check my homework but I don't want to put you out.
  • I need someone to review my homework but I don't want to bother you.
  • to turn off
  • Put your cigarette out before you get in the car.
  • Put out your cigarette before getting in the car.
  • have sex
  • We've been dating for 6 months and she still won't put out.
  • We've been dating for 6 months but he still doesn't want to sleep with me.

82. put off

  • disgust, cause rejection, remove the desire
  • I'm sure black rice is lovely, but the look of it really puts me off.
  • I am sure the black rice is delicious, but its appearance causes me rejection.
  • That photo is disgusting! You've put me off my food!
  • What a disgusting photo! I have lost the desire to eat.

83. put up with

  • tolerate / endure
  • I'm not going to put up with this behavior. Go to bed!
  • I do not intend to tolerate this behavior. Go to bed!

84. rip off

  • tear
  • The stripper ripped his shirt off.
  • The stripper tore off his shirt.
  • scam / con someone
  • I got ripped off as soon as I left the airport.
  • I was ripped off as soon as I left the airport.
  • copy
  • That artist has ripped off my painting!
  • That artist has copied my painting.

85. run into

  • stumble / meet
  • I ran into your grandmother in the pharmacy.
  • I met your grandmother at the pharmacy.

86. run out of

  • stay without
  • We've run out of English tea. This is a catastrophe!
  • We have run out of English tea. It is a catastrophe.

87. run over

  • run over
  • I accidentally ran over a weasel this morning.
  • I accidentally ran over a weasel this morning.

88. sell out

  • wear out
  • The ticked sold out in 2 hours.
  • Tickets have been sold out in 2 hours.

89. set off

  • get out
  • We have to set off at 6:00 am to avoid the traffic.
  • We have to leave at 06:00 to avoid traffic.

90. show off

91. shut up

  • shut up
  • Shut up and listen to me!
  • Shut up and listen to me! 

92. slow down

  • reduce speed
  • Slow down, there is a speed camera.
  • Go slower, there is a radar.

93. sort out

  • solve / solve
  • Did you sort out the issue with your laptop?
  • Did you solve the problem with your laptop?
  • tidy
  • I need to sort out the drawers on my desk.
  • I have to tidy up my desk drawers.

94. take off

  • take off
  • Help me take my socks off.
  • Help me take off my socks.
  • to take off
  • The plane took off half an hour late.
  • The plane took off half an hour late.

95. take after

  • resemble
  • You take after your grandmother.
  • You look like your grandmother.

96. tell someone off

  • to nag
  • My teacher told me off for being late.
  • My teacher scolded me for being late.

97. throw away

  • throw
  • Who threw this banana skin on the floor? I almost kill myself!
  • Who has thrown this banana peel on the ground? It almost killed me.

98. turn down

  • to refuse
  • The company turned down my job application.
  • The company rejected my job application.
  • decrease the volume
  • Can you turn the music down?
  • Can you turn the music down?

99. watch out 

  • Be attentive / be careful
  • Watch out! There are pickpockets in this area.
  • Be careful! There are pickpockets in this area.

100. work out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 50 Most Important Idioms for Achieving a B2 to C2 Level of English.

  Due to the complexities of English, nobody, native or second language learner can honestly brag about having a proficient level of the language without a solid knowledge of Idioms.  Every day, in almost every conversation, native speakers will use idioms more than someone who is new to the language, simply because they are more familiar with them and know the context in which they should be used. Therefore, this means that when you, the second language learner uses an idiom in the correct context, that you have a more proficient level of English and therefore you sound more like a native speaker. Below is a list of 50 of the most important general idioms necessary for traveling the B2 to C2 language learning journey. With these idioms, you will be able to listen and speak more like a native speaker, therefore, enhancing your ability to communicate effectively. Study tips for how to learn idioms. The 60 most important phrasal verbs for achieving a B2 to C2 level of English. It also he

The 60 Most Important Phrasal Verbs for Achieving a B2 to C2 Level of English.

  Due to the complexities of English, nobody can honestly brag about having a proficient level of the language without a solid knowledge of phrasal verbs and Idioms.  Every day, in almost every conversation, native speakers will use phrasal verbs idioms more than someone who is new to the language, simply because they are more familiar with them and know the context in which they should be used. Therefore, this means that when you, the second language learner uses a phrasal verb or idiom in the correct context, that you have a more proficient level of English and therefore you sound more like a native speaker. Below is a list of 60 of the most important general phrasal verbs necessary for traveling the B2 to C2 language learning journey. With these phrasal verbs, you will be able to listen and speak more like a native speaker, therefore, enhancing your ability to communicate effectively. The 50 Most Important Idioms for Achieving a B2 to C2 Level of English. Study tips for how to learn

The List of Essential Vocabulary to Help You to Pass Your B2 to C2 English Exams.

As an English teacher, I have been preparing students for international exams for more than 20 years, and no matter which exam you wish to take, be it the University of Cambridge, the University of Michigan, or any of the many other exams, there is no doubt that your knowledge of vocabulary plays a huge role in your level of success. A robust knowledge of vocabulary improves all areas of communication. For students who are planning to undertake an international exam, vocabulary helps you to understand what you are reading and listening to, it helps you to include the best words in your writing and to be able to confidently and fluently answer the questions in your speaking interview .  Expanding your knowledge of words provides you with unlimited access to new information and ultimate success with your exams. Whilst it is true that there is no single list of vocabulary that is guaranteed to perfectly prepare you for every exam, the list below is one of the lists that I always use for m